A bed bug infestation that killed a couple’s pet
A couple who had a bed bug that was raising the alarm when they got their dog out of bed this month have since been left to struggle to sleep and struggle to get to the doctor’s office, the New York Times reports.
“I can’t believe we had to get rid of the bed bug, it was horrible,” said the husband of the man who died.
“The bed bugs were everywhere, we had one everywhere.”
The man, who was not identified, had slept in his bed in his house for a month, and his wife’s bed bug was the only thing keeping him sane, the paper said.
The couple told local media that they were trying to find a replacement for the bed they had in their home.
“We went out for a walk one morning and we saw a house on fire, and we got scared,” said one of the husband’s neighbors, who spoke to the Times on condition of anonymity because he did not want his name used.
The couple were worried about their dog sleeping on their couch as well. “
At one point, we started to get concerned about the dog sleeping in my bed, and the next thing I know, we got the bedbug.”
The couple were worried about their dog sleeping on their couch as well.
“She was sleeping on the couch and she was really scared,” the man told the paper.
“And then the bedbugs came out and were everywhere.”
After finding out about the bed bugs, the man and his family called the health department and the police.
“They asked us how to get the bed in there and they asked us what was the best way to get it out, and what if we didn’t have the bed, but we could get it with a ladder,” he told the Times.
The man had the bed covered in dog bed covers to keep the bed from getting infected.
“All I can say is, we should have known better, we shouldn’t have done that,” he said.
“But if we had been aware, I think we could have gotten it out.”
The health department did not immediately respond to a request for comment from ABC News.