Twins’ Carlos Santana says he wants to play again next year
Minnesota Twins outfielder Carlos Santana said Sunday that he’s determined to play next season, despite his shoulder injury that has limited him to only 11 games in each of the past two seasons.
In an interview with ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, Santana said he’s still working to get his shoulder back to 100 percent, but said he’ll be back soon.
Santana also told Mortensen he wants his teammates to have confidence in him, and he said he hopes to see them win.
“I don’t want them to feel like they have to do what I have to,” Santana said.
“I want them not to feel as though they have any doubts in me, because I know how much I want to do well for them.”
Santanana, 30, has been plagued by injuries since he was drafted in 2012 out of Florida State.
He missed most of last season with a hamstring injury and is in the final year of his deal.
The Twins have been trying to find a replacement for Santana for a few years, but none of their choices have come close to being ready.
The Twins had hoped to have him return for 2017, but a hamstring strain forced him to miss all of 2016 and the entire season of 2015.
Santiago was a second-round pick by the Twins in 2010 and went on to have a Hall of Fame career, hitting more than 7,000 career home runs and earning an All-Star nod in the process.
He missed all of last year with an injury to his shoulder, but he is expected to be ready for next season.
He’s been out since Sept. 17 with a groin injury, and his return has been delayed because of his shoulder.
The latest Around The NFL Podcast discusses the latest on the Raiders’ decision to release Derek Carr, and what it means for the Seahawks.
Find more Around The NHL content on NFL NOW.
Follow Lindsay H. Jones on Twitter @LindsayHJones